With one week of 2018 under our belts, I thought it would be fun to do one last recap of 2017 by sharing my “best of” for the year. 2017 was easily one of the most exciting, satisfying and surprising years of my life. I’m honestly sad to see it go, but I’m hoping to just carry that momentum into 2018. Plus, I can always go back to this post and reflect on the beauty that was 2017!
Makeup & Beauty
- Tarte Amazonian Clay blush palette: After wanting one of these blushes for years, this year I finally got my hands on the palette. I love having a bunch of colors of these blushes in one place! The formula is long-lasting and they’re so pigmented that you don’t need a ton of product. Definitely worth the wait.
- Clinique Lash Power mascara: I tried a few new mascaras this year but I always went back to this Clinique one because it is still the best mascara I have found. I like it because it comes off in tubes with warm water, which means it doesn’t run under your eyes. Plus, the price is pretty great for being a higher end brand.
- Nivea lip balm: Everyone needs a staple lip balm! I love the warm smell of these and they moisturize for a very long time. I have several of them scattered throughout my purses, work desk and apartment.
- Beauty Blender: I used to use a brush for my foundation, but this year I started using the Beauty Blender. It’s honestly the BEST. I use it damp for foundation and under eye concealer and it makes the product go on so naturally–make sure you don’t use a ton of product or else it will get too heavy and cakey.
- Nars Creamy Concealer: Hands down the best concealer I have ever used. Ever. I never bought it because of the price, but there is nothing like it at the drugstore. For being full coverage, it is so light and mousse-like. It works so well with a damp Beauty Blender.
- Make Up Forever Matte Velvet foundation: I love how natural this foundation is while keeping the skin as matte as it can. I use the teeny, tiniest little amount so I can get a really natural finish on the skin. However, I could build it up if I wanted. And, like the concealer, it works so well with the Beauty Blender! I’m in the color 30 and it matches me perfectly.
Clothing & Accessories
- Cap toe slingbacks: I thought about buying these for the longest time and I’m so happy I finally did! They are so versatile, classic and comfortable. I’m obsessed with the black cap toe to elongate the leg.
- Free People pink Ottoman Tunic: Does this even need an explanation? A pink sweater with a mod neckline. SOLD.
- Gold Jack Rogers: I lived in these this summer. They replaced my brown and gold Tory Burch thong sandals. They’re a staple that go with everything and I can’t recommend them enough.
- Breton stripes: This year I was obsessed with buying striped shirts–especially blue and white. They’re so functional for cool summer evenings and always look crisp and clean.
- Ball drop earrings: I’ve raved about these kinds of earrings for the past few months. They have quickly become a staple in my jewelry box and dress up every outfit they’re paired with.
- J. Crew Chateau coat: Again, does this need an explanation? I get so many compliments on this coat. It’s classic, WARM and functional with two zipper pockets and two huge catch-all pockets. Next year, I may have to add another to my closet. It’s the perfect coat.
- LV Favorite MM: I got this purse for Christmas last year, so it really became the bag of 2017. I love crossbody bags and this one served its purpose wonderfully while looking so cute, too!
- Wounded, Third Eye Blind
- Angela, The Lumineers
- You Make Loving Fun, Fleetwood Mac
- Fierce, Jesus Culture
- I Don’t Even Know Your Name, Shawn Mendes
- Roll with the Changes, REO Speedwagon
- Trippin’ On Her, Two Piece Dalmatian
- Don’t Stop, Fleetwood Mac
- Mama Kin, Aerosmith
- Wonder, Hillsong
- End Game, Taylor Swift
- Magnify, We Are Messengers
- …Ready For It?, Taylor Swift
- O Come to the Altar, Elevation Worship
- The Jones Assembly: LOVE the fried okra, frosé, dips and spreads, and the biscuits and jam.
- Barrios Mexican: Ugh the nachos are soooo delicious and the Cactus Fruit Slushie is TO DIE FOR.
- The Hall’s Pizza Kitchen: I never would have ordered the Blanco on my own, but I think that’s my favorite pizza. The caramel chocolate chip cookies are unreal!
- Okay Yeah: The best latte in town. I wouldn’t dare add sugar or anything else to it!
- Wheeze the Juice: Nothing like an açaí bowl to make you feel healthy! Wheeze the Juice does them so well and I am thrilled that they open in Leadership Square TODAY.
- OU/Texas with Jess and Annie! It’s always a fun weekend, but it was so much more fun because we hadn’t seen each other in months.
- Playing flag football with some people from my first big girl job, plus some of their friends and Allison, was the competition I didn’t know I needed in my life. Man, we had such a great time.
- Senior Monmouth was such a great time. There’s something about the last Monmouth that made that night one to remember. Ahhhh, thank you college!
- OU beating Ohio State was pretty fun. My mom, brother and I were STRESSED out all game, so that was miserable, but winning was so exciting. My dad and uncle drove to Ohio to go to the game. We were thrilled that they were there and I know they had a great time.
- Last Scandals as a senior! Our show was called Rumours, based off of Fleetwood Mac’s album. All songs, except one, were Fleetwood and it was so fun! Watch our show below!
Like what you see? I would love if you would share this post on Facebook, follow my Instagram account and pin this post on Pinterest by using the icons below! I would love to say thanks, so tag me on all platforms using @hollyhoehner.
Holly Hoehner has her bachelor’s degree in public relations from the University of Oklahoma. She considers herself more of a Russell Westbrook than a Kevin Durant and enjoys learning about and participating in the digital age, blogging about anything that comes to her mind and creating witty Instagram captions. Holly was raised a die-hard Sooner fan in Edmond, OK.