150 years ago 12 women, in a house at Monmouth College created I.C. Sorosis, which was later named Pi Beta Phi. Tomorrow, April 28, is Pi Beta Phi’s official 150th birthday. Yaaaaayyy!
The pressure to write a meaningful post that accurately conveys my feelings towards Pi Phi is immense. I almost don’t even know where to begin because my thanks and appreciation won’t ever be enough, in my opinion, for this organization. The first four years of my Pi Phi experience are everything I ever wanted in a sorority and even more. The women I’ve met in my chapter and the alumnae that I’ve had the opportunity to learn from and work with are some of the best people I know. They are passionate, witty, giving and so loving. Meeting Pi Phis at airports, conferences and in line at Starbucks is one of my favorite things and something about sharing sisterhood makes strangers, well, sisters.
I thought I would share some moments that meant a lot to me these last four years. As my collegiate experience ends, these are the memories that I will look back on fondly. I figure it’s best to document them now and share them with you, too. So here’s to you, Pi Phi, for giving more to me than I can ever return.
My Sweet Pi Phi Memories
- The cookie shine on Bid Day night. The freshmen I’m sure think they’re going to be hazed, but we don’t haze. We dance with our friends and eat the world’s best cookie cake.
- Opening my bid card and seeing PI BETA PHI. I thought I would call my mom and take some pictures and calmly make my way there…No I straight bolted for the door and didn’t stop until I saw Katie holding my arrow.
- Falling asleep on the informal couch one day when I lived with Katie. I didn’t plan on napping on the couch, so it looked like I vanished from our room since everything was on and no one was there. Katie freaked out and got all our friends involved looking for me. It was a big ordeal. I woke up from my accidental 3 hour nap to Katie, Jess and Annie looking over me very concerned.
- Getting to work with and become friends with our alumni advisors. They are amazing.
- College Weekend when I was VPM and got to meet other VPMs from Pi Phi chapters all around.
- Scandals this last year was the most fun I’ve ever had in Scandals. I loved getting to know the freshmen a lot better and was so honored that I got to even be on stage. Watch our show here.
- Living with Katie in Room 22. Just all of it.
- Dancing to Angel on Sisterhood Day.
- Making friends with all kinds of different women. The relationships are the sweetest and what make Pi Phi, Pi Phi.
- All night pomp at Lambda freshman year will go down in history in my mind.
- The honor of being the Vice President of Membership and leading recruitment. I will never get over it and am so thankful for the experience.
- Living in the Suites with Annie and Lindsay and all the juniors up there. I’m basically a licensed psychologist now.
- Singing Loving Cup at unofficial Pi Phi gatherings like weddings.
- Winning Homecoming this year and finding out when Annie and I were on the field.
- Legacy Day last year when it tornadoed and flooded an hour before the event, but we were still able to have it. That’s when PR crisis skills really came in handy.
- Having no expectations for Monmouth this year and then having the most fun of all time.
- Exec meetings every Monday night. We did a lot of laughing and a lot of face palming.
- Watching big legacies get initiated and crying because of all their Pi Phi family members are in the room. So sweet.
- When a woman in line at Starbucks bought my coffee because I was wearing letters.
- When Halle and I became friends at the first football game because she had a heat stroke and I helped her out.
- Sharing a bond with friends at other schools and chapters as well as with my friends’ moms.
- Absolutely sobbing on Pref Night when I was sure I wouldn’t cry.
- When Katie and I wore matching pjs because our moms sent us matching pjs multiple times.
- The Hunger Games Scandals. Still think we got absolutely robbed. Watch it here.
- Coming back to the hotel room after dinner junior year at OU/Texas after Jess had gotten back from her date party. So funny.
- The day during finals week when it tornadoed and we all crowded around the informal tv. Girls from Texas were grabbing their stuff and heading for cover. The girls from Oklahoma were eating dinner in the dining room.
- The Pref Night video. *cries*
- Winning Miracle Cup my sophomore year for Jess Freeman at Soonerthon after I stayed the entire time.
- OU/Texas with Brooklyn and Katie.
- Sophomore year recruitment when it was so hot that we were pulling girls who passed out from heat under the pipe and drape and sending in a new main rusher.
- Talking with Mom Mindy at countless dinners. She’s got great stories and great perspective.
- When OU basketball beat Texas (I think) at the buzzer and you could literally hear the house erupt from everyone watching in their rooms.
- Visiting the house in the summer.
- When Exec couldn’t get the safe open before a philanthropy event and we chunked it off the fire escape balcony to get it open. It worked.
- The night that I was freaking out about recruitment two days into Spirit Week and Jess talked me off the ledge and made me a to do list for the next day. I definitely kept that list.
- When I was on a plane to College Weekend with some other Exec girls and a random lady boarding the plane saw us in letters and did a signal to show us that she was a Pi Phi.
- Eating lunch and dinner with all my friends in one of our rooms during Spirit Week.
Holly Hoehner is a public relations senior at the University of Oklahoma. She considers herself more of a Russell Westbrook than a Kevin Durant and enjoys learning about and participating in the digital age, blogging about anything that comes to her mind and creating witty Instagram captions. Holly was raised a die-hard Sooner fan in Edmond, OK.